If you want to explore the world’s amazing destinations then APOSTLE ISLANDS, Wisconsin is one of them. About 383 kilometres from Minneapolis, Minnesota you will find across 1,165 square kilometres of lake. It is one of the beautiful destinations, where you can witness the real natural combination of colourful birds and glorious caves. Apostle Islands are the group of picturesque 22 islands in Lake Superior, off the Bayfield Peninsula. According to the archivist, Jesuits used to give holy names to new places and so this place was named as APOSTLE ISLANDS.
Travellers those who are planning to visit specular Apostle Islands, need to book tickets for Duluth (DLH) International airport. From DLH you can catch several types of transport services like bus, taxi or car to reach BAYFIELD. This is approximately 84.2 miles from the DLH airport. Bayfield is a relaxing lakeside town used as a base for trips to the Apostle Islands.
From Bayfield you can catch a ferry to La Pointe on Madeline Island. Ferry operates from March until water freezes in winter. At Madeline Island you can enjoy water sports like kayaking, fishing, diving and sailing. In winters, you will find an ice bridge between Bayfield and Madeline Island, which you may cross by walking or with the help of winter vehicles. To experience this beautiful journey of the island you may rent a snowmobile, skis, snowshoes and dogsled.
People who are from outside the US will need to apply for the tourist visa (B-1). Each country has a different visa requirement & process. You can also apply for ESTA – Electronic system for travel authorization. ESTA is an automated system which determines the eligibility of travellers who are willing to visit the United States for 90 days or less under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). VWP is a group or member of 39 countries which do not require visa to enter the USA. It is mandatory to obtain ESTA prior to the booking of your tickets. If you are applying for an ESTA Application, make sure you submit your application at least 72 hours prior to travel. Please note that you need an ESTA between domestic flights in America. Below are the ESTA application requirements -:
- Valid Passport from VPN- Visa Waiver Countries
- E-mail address of the traveller.
- Phone number and home address of the traveller.
- Emergency point of contact and email.
- Fee for the application.
You can check ESTA status online. Here, you need to enter your personal details to get the status. It also helps to know whether your ESTA is still valid or got expired. In case, you need to update any of your personal details than you can do it here.
Places to see -:
- Apostle Islands Lighthouses – You will find many Lighthouses on the Lake Superior. Six of them are listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
- La Pointe, Wisconsin – Situated on the western shore of Madeline Island, it is adjacent to the Madeline island ferry dock.
- Big Bay State Park – It is situated on the eastern shore of Madeline Island, you can simply walk, relax & experience specular cliffs, caves and rock formations.
- Madeline Island Museum – You will get to learn History of trapping, hunting, and logging and about national people who used to live at Madeline Island. There you will find gift shops, books and jewellery & most important learn how people use porcupine quills to make decorative things.
- Apostle Highlands Golf Course – It has magnificent views of Lake Superior and the Apostle Islands with 18-hole.
Few are the well-known restaurants & Cafes at Bayfield -:
- The Copper Trout – Serving fresh fish, gourmet pizza, and delicious pasta and Black Angus Beef steaks.
- Many penny Bistro – Full service restaurant & bakery, consist of American fare with a Turkish fare!
- The Fat Radish – Soups, Seafood, Deli, Pub, Healthy, Gastro pub.
- Morty’s Pub – It has a wide variety of craft, imported and domestic beers with fresh Whitefish from Lake Superior.
- Pier Plaza Restaurant & Pickled Herring Lounge – Having a wide variety of Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner with a beautiful view of Lake Front.
APOSTLE ISLANDS CRUISE TOURS
- Grand Tour – Is one of the most popular cruise tours at apostle islands, passes through beautiful glorious natural scenery, Raspberry and Devils Island Lighthouses, marine wildlife, standing rocks and sea caves.
- Sea Caves & Lighthouse Tour – View the amazing “winter ice caves” including Apostle Islands ice caves, sand island, Sand Island & Raspberry island lighthouses.
- Wrecks, Rocks & Lighthouses Tour – View the historic two lighthouses on Michigan Island, then past honeymoon Rock on Basswood Island. You will be able to see the wreck of the fedora, the destruction of a ship at sea.
- Kayak and Cruise Adventure Tour – Departs from the Bayfield city dock, the only powerboat supported Kayaking tour in the Apostle Islands. Explore the island using efficient 18-foot long Looksha T Tandem kayaks.
SHOPPING AT APOSTLE ISLANDS
- Apostle Islands Booksellers – Collection of books emphasis on culture, nature, lifestyle, cuisine, history and activities on the Apostle Islands.
- Wren – Unique & charming shop having a wide variety of T-shirts for men and women, also has Wisconsin maple syrup.
- Madeline Island Candles – Collection of old-fashion environmentally friendly candles made up of earth grown soybeans.
- Erickson Orchard and Country Store – Great collection of jams, crafts, pickled things & even wine produced on the north shore.
- Deena’s Pottery Studio & Gallery – Situated next door to the Madeline Island market, contains Pottery, ceramics and soaps.
Island lovers will enjoy this bunch of islands all together. It could be a treat for the travellers who love to experience real islands.