CBD or cannabidiol is derived from the cannabis plant. Although it has been misunderstood and misrepresented over the years, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the use of a purified strain of CBD oil to treat epilepsy. Since then, cannabis has been made legal in several states.
While the use and legal aspect of natural CBD oil has been a matter of debate for decades, researchers have pointed out various therapeutic uses of CBD oil. While THC and CBD are both compounds derived from marijuana, they are widely different. Multiple benefits of CBD have been recorded and supported by evidence over the years.
CBD vs. THC
Many people believe that CBD and THC are the same. Nothing could be further from the truth. The only similarity between these two compounds is that they are both derived from the same plant. THC is an active compound that is known for its psychoactive and psychological effects. It is a mind-altering compound that provides users with a “high”.
CBT, on the other hand, does not have any psychoactive properties. While it has been shown to produce some changes in a person’s body, it does not create any mind alteration.
How Does CBD Work?
Humans and some animals have similar endocannabinoid systems. This means that our body has cannabinoid receptors that interact with cannabinoid products when introduced to the body. There are two cannabinoid receptors: CB1 and CB2 receptors.
The first one is generally present in various parts of the body but at a higher concentration in the brain. They are associated with pain, movement, emotion, thinking, mood, memories, appetite, and other functions. THC generally attaches to this receptor.
On the other hand, the receptor is primarily associated with the immune system and affects pain and inflammation. CBD stimulates both the receptors to produce their cannabinoids in the body, which is known as endocannabinoids.
Benefits of CBD oil
The use of natural CBD oil produces several benefits in a person’s body. The following are the most significant benefits of CBD oil:
- Alleviates Pain: The production of endocannabinoids reduces chronic pain as they interact with neurotransmitters and help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Treats Symptoms of Cancer: CBD can reduce various symptoms and side effects of cancer and cancer treatment, including pain, nausea, and vomiting. They have been found to work excellently for elevating vomiting caused by chemotherapy which is very popular in Cancer patients.
- Reduction in Anxiety and Depression: While anxiety and depression are generally treated using pharmaceutical drugs, these have various harmful side effects, including insomnia, drowsiness, sexual dysfunction, agitation, and more. Many studies have found promising results for using CBD oil in the treatment of search mental health conditions.
- Neuroprotective Properties: Some researchers have discovered that CBD can stimulate the endocannabinoid system. This can be used to treat neurological disorders like multiple sclerosis and epilepsy.
- Help in Addiction: CBD has been effective in helping people quit smoking by impacting the nicotine craving area of the brain. CBD may also be effective for people with opioid addiction disorder and other substance use disorders as well.
CBD has also been found to assist people in various disorders like type 1 diabetes, anxiety disorders, acne, insomnia, all sinus disease, asthma, migraine, cluster headache, PTSD, joint pain, Parkinson’s disease, lung conditions, shisha disease, and much more.
CBD oil is one of the most heavily studied compounds for its various health benefits. It has been studied for relieving and elevating various symptoms for life-threatening disorders like cancer and some mental health conditions. CBD is now available in multiple forms, such as oil, lotions, and gummies. While the legality of CBD is still being reviewed and processed from time to time, you can’t undermine its benefits.